Black Butte School is proud of its history of volunteers helping to make the school a vibrant educational experience that is connected to our community. We welcome and seek out volunteers from our community. Volunteering in a school is a unique and exciting experience. It is a privilege for both the school and the volunteer. Volunteering promotes and maintains a supportive relationship with the students and staff. We can't thank our volunteers enough for being willing to be a supportive part of the Back Butte School education program! In 2018 we were proud to award Sue Carleson (pictured at right) the Volunteer of the Year award.
Volunteer Program Goals
- to establish a school and community partnership, and
- to help provide the best education possible.
- Complete an application and background check
- Be prompt and dependable in attendance
- Support and supplement instructional program. The volunteer's role is assistance, not replacement.
- Understand and accept the students in terms of their own background and values.
- Be willing to help, ask for directions, follow instructions, take training, and try a variety of approaches and techniques with students.
- Communicate regularly with staff.
- Practice professional ethics and confidentiality.
- Notify the staff if a students confides in you about personal issues.
- Know and observe all regulations of the school.
- Remember that you are acting as a role model for the children.
- Like children,
- Be dependable,
- Be flexible,
- Have confidentiality, and
- Complete a background check prior to volunteering.
Instructions for filling out the application.
- Prior to volunteering in the classroom or on field trips, all volunteers (including parent volunteers) must submit a Volunteer Application and participate in a social security number-based Oregon criminal history check.
- Where the Bio-med form asks "Prospective Employer," indicate Black Butte School District - Volunteer.
- A criminal conviction doesn't necessarily bar someone from volunteering.
- Please contact Celeste Ingram, District Clerk, with any questions.
- Please return the forms to by postal mail, scan and email it to Celeste Ingram or drop it in the lockbox outside the front door of the school.