Black Butte School is currently recruiting Site Council and School Board Members. Click the links for more details about each of these very important volunteer positions.
Black Butte School is proud of its history of volunteers helping to make the school a vibrant educational experience that is connected to our community. We welcome and seek out volunteers from our community. Volunteering in a school is a unique and exciting experience. It is a privilege for both the school and the volunteer. Volunteering promotes and maintains a supportive relationship with the students and staff. We can't thank our volunteers enough for being willing to be a supportive part of the Back Butte School education program! In 2018 we were proud to award Sue Carleson (pictured at right) the Volunteer of the Year award.
Volunteer Program Goals
- to establish a school and community partnership, and
- to help provide the best education possible.
- Complete an application and background check
- Be prompt and dependable in attendance
- Support and supplement instructional program. The volunteer's role is assistance, not replacement.
- Understand and accept the students in terms of their own background and values.
- Be willing to help, ask for directions, follow instructions, take training, and try a variety of approaches and techniques with students.
- Communicate regularly with staff.
- Practice professional ethics and confidentiality.
- Notify the staff if a students confides in you about personal issues.
- Know and observe all regulations of the school.
- Remember that you are acting as a role model for the children.
- Like children,
- Be dependable,
- Be flexible,
- Have confidentiality, and
- Complete a background check prior to volunteering.
Instructions for filling out the application.
- Prior to volunteering in the classroom or on field trips, all volunteers (including parent volunteers) must submit a Volunteer Application and participate in a social security number-based Oregon criminal history check.
- Where the Bio-med form asks "Prospective Employer," indicate Black Butte School District - Volunteer.
- A criminal conviction doesn't necessarily bar someone from volunteering.
- Please contact Celeste Ingram, District Clerk, with any questions.
- Please return the forms to by postal mail, scan and email it to Celeste Ingram or drop it in the lockbox outside the front door of the school.