Black Butte School Overview
Nestled in the heart of the Metolius Basin, Black Butte School is a public K-8 school. The school offers a dynamic educational experience that leverages the local community and the unique bioregion of the Metolius Basin to enhance student learning. The field-based curriculum blends classroom lessons with real world experiences and adventures to foster students' genuine curiosity, knowledge, and confidence.
Our Philosophy and Values
Our core values: community, curiosity, learning, stewardship, and wellness, are the foundation of how we educate and empower our students.
- an inclusive and positive community and a healthy environment enables all students to thrive;
- inter-disciplinary programs organized thematically provide authentic opportunities for learning;
- place-based experiences and adventures help students to learn about themselves, their communities, and the greater world in memorable and transformational ways;
- well-designed projects engage students in solving real-world problems that benefit the community and empower them to develop leadership skills and confidence; and
- educational experiences need to be dynamic, opportunistic, individualized, and holistic in order to develop the whole child emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and physically.