Black Butte School Overview
Nestled in the heart of the Metolius Basin, Black Butte School is a public K-8 school. The school offers a dynamic educational experience that leverages the local community and the unique bioregion of the Metolius Basin to enhance student learning. The field-based curriculum blends classroom lessons with real world experiences and adventures to foster students' genuine curiosity, knowledge, and confidence. Students can expect to be learning outdoors approximately 13 hours per week, adding up to 500 hours across the school year!
Our Philosophy and Values
Our core values: community, curiosity, learning, stewardship, and wellness, are the foundation of how we educate and empower our students.
- an inclusive and positive community and a healthy environment enables all students to thrive;
- inter-disciplinary programs organized thematically provide authentic opportunities for learning;
- place-based experiences and adventures help students to learn about themselves, their communities, and the greater world in memorable and transformational ways;
- well-designed projects engage students in solving real-world problems that benefit the community and empower them to develop leadership skills and confidence; and
- educational experiences need to be dynamic, opportunistic, individualized, and holistic in order to develop the whole child emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and physically.