Black Butte School circa 1917
The first schoolhouse in Camp Sherman, constructed of 14-by-18-foot logs, was built in 1888 near First Creek west of Allingham Bridge, approximately two miles northwest of the present-day school. That school was replaced by a log schoolhouse in 1917 (photo above).
The current Black Butte School was constructed in 1951, with the design by Wayne Korish (who also designed the Camp Sherman Community Hall).
Behind the current school you will find an old horse barn now used for storage (and referred to as the PE Shed). This barn was moved to its current location from the old schoolyard on First Creek. Also moved from the original school on First Creek is the bell that now stands in the bell tower at the front of Black Butte School.
Information provided by Camp Sherman Historical Society.
Construction of Black Butte School, 1951
Wayne Koorish designed a two-room schoolhouse, built in 1951, that stands today and has served hundreds of students over many years. Black Butte School serves grades K-8 and students learn in multi-age classrooms.
After nearly 74 years, the mid-century modern schoolhouse is getting its first major upgrade with a complete remodel and third classroom addition. This project is funded by school bond measure 16-105 (approved by voters in May 2023) and will be completed by February 2025.
For more information on this project, see Bond Updates.